Get Adobe Flash player
PLASTIKS on line. Home
Русская версия
magazine conference catalogue
News
PLASTIKS news
Business forums
Plastics recycling
Raw materials and additives
Investments and equipment
Plastics application
Subscribe to news












Coke investing millions in firms to accelerate development of plant-based plastics

22/12/2011


Beverage giant Coca-Cola Co. is making what it said was a multi-million dollar investment in three bio-based companies in an effort to accelerate the development of a PlantBottle made entirely from plants.
The Atlanta-based beverage company said Dec. 15 that it is investing in three companies:
• Virent Inc., based in Madison, Wis., which make a bio-based feedstock, BioForm X, for paraxylene
• Gevo Inc., in Englewood, Colo., which has developed a 100 percent renewable isobutanol, which is a building block for paraxylene.
• Avantium Research and Technology, a Netherlands company whose YXY chemical catalytic technology has led to the company’s development of a new bio-based plastic, PEF, to make 100 percent bio-based bottles that could be a replacement for today’s PET bottles.
Coke’s aim is to advance the technology to make purified terephthalic acid from non-petroleum sources. PTA accounts for 70 percent of the PET bottle formulation by weight and monoethylene glycol the other 30 percent.
Since December 2009, Coke has been marketing a PlantBottle with the 30 percent MEG portion made from non-petroleum-based renewable resources. Coke said it has sold 10 billion PlantBottles since it was introduced, and it now sells the bottles in 20 countries.
The world’s other beverage giant, PepsiCo, said in March that it has developed a 100 percent renewable PET bottle, but that it will not go into pilot production until sometime in 2012,. Even then, Pepsi said it would limit quantities to between 100,000 and 500,000 bottles.

Plastics.ru

     








Other news

22/11/2013 BASF gets tough with wind turbine coating
22/11/2013 EU polymer demand growth in 2014: 'patchy'
12/04/2013 Small printer targets orthodontic labs
22/03/2013 Growing confidence points to upturn
22/03/2013 Putting the bite on 3D printing
08/02/2013 PolyOne colourant used for suture guide
01/02/2013 Erema hires external PR firm
20/12/2012 Chemtura and Caterpillar link to develop urethane tires
18/12/2012 Aston Martin benefits from nanotechnology
14/12/2012 Boeing and BMW collaborate on composite recycling


Archive
Журнал ПЛАСТИКС
Яндекс цитирования
"ПЛАСТИКС" стал мобильнее
x

Уважаемые посетители сайта "Пластикс"

С июня 2013 года для пользователей планшетных компьютеров на Android и iOS доступно мобильное приложение (инструкция здесь).

Вы можете бесплатно ознакомиться с одним из номеров журнала (№6, 2015) через мобильное приложение.